Outreach —The Library in the Community
Library service doesn’t stop at the library door. Connectivity and access are just as important to the people who can’t travel to a library. Finding new and creative ways to meet people where they are, The Library outreach team is active as ever and has spent the last two years partnering with other community organizations to serve the community’s most vulnerable. Thanks to you, many of the city’s most challenged citizens had reliable access to free data and charging stations provided by MARCO, The Library’s mobile exploration van.
Here are some of the wonderful comments made possible by your support:
• A member who stopped in with one of the small bottles of hand sanitizer The Library gives during an outreach program told a Library Supervisor how nice it was to have the library visiting and
that he’d seen staff at several locatons. He mentioned access to laptops and the ability to charge phones and was very pleased with the service provided.”
• In general, we get comments from those experiencing homelessness every week saying how much they appreciate library outreach visits.
• During the Downtown Daily Bread outreach, a person wanting to finish setting up his cell phone asked us if there was somewhere he could get free wi-fi. Library staff connected him with MARCO’s free wi-fi and in just a few minutes, his phone was set up. He expressed his thanks and went about the rest of his day.
• While attending an outreach at the Chambers Hill United Methodist Church, one of its parishioners stopped by to tell staff how much The Library is appreciated for all of its efforts and what it provides to the community. • During a webinar provided by the South Central Assembly, The Library was recognized by the York and Lancaster coalitions for those experiencing homelessness as an excellent asset for providing valuable mobile services during through outreach.
• While attending an outreach for Families United Network (FUN) Day, a family with two young children, all fully masked (as was Outreach Staff), expressed their gratitude for The Library’s efforts to keep the members masked. Both parents stated that The Library is the only place they feel comfortable going to because of their efforts.