News from The Friends of Elizabethville Area Library
Help Your Library - Become a Friends Member
The Friends of the Elizabethville Area Library Memberships are available! The local businesses listed on our membership poster support the Friends of the Elizabethville Area Library with membership offer appreciation coupons and specials to enjoy at their place of business by showing a current November 2021 - November 2022 membership card.
Sr. Citizen (age 60 & up) $7, Individual $10, Couple $14, Family $20, Business $25. Download the Friends of Elizabethville Area Library Brochure for more information and the membership form. Memberships can be dropped off at the library or mailed to Elizabethville Area Library Friends, P.O. Box 643, Elizabethville, Pa. 17023.
All new and renewed current Memberships will be included in special drawings at the Volunteer Appreciation Picnic on August 4th to award 4 sets (2 ea.) Admission Tickets and 2 sets (2 ea.) Admission/Grandstand tickets for the Gratz Fair.
For more information contact Carolyn Kocher at 717-362-3148.
The Elizabethville Area Friends of the Library hold their monthly board meetings on the first Thursday of every month in the downstairs meeting room of the Elizabethville Area Library.
Volunteer Appreciation Picnic!
Thanks to Our Volunteers!
We’re Bursting With Appreciation.
Thursday, August 4th
Elizabethville Boro Park (Large Pavilion)
Feel free to bring a side dish or snack. Meat, drinks, and paper products provided.
• Library Manager Ann Bruner will discuss Elizabethville Area Library updates.
• Volunteers: “The Future Is Within You!” theme will demonstrate your importance as a volunteer.
• Door prizes and special membership drawings to award Gratz Fair admittance and grand stand tickets.
• Friends T-shirts are available.
Two Pop-up Books Sales
Shops on Main, Lykens
Saturday, August 13
9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Shops on Market, Elizabethville
Saturday, August 20
9:00 am to 3:00 pm
A selection of cookbooks, garden & flowers, Landscaping, crafts, travel and Fiction.
Children's books - 6 books for $5.00
All proceeds benefit the Elizabethville Area Library.
Pop-Up Book Sale Volunteers Needed
We are looking for volunteers to help at our Pop-Up Book Sale on August 13th from 9 AM-3 PM at Shops on Main in Lykens, as well as our Pop-Up Book Sale on August 20th from 9 AM-3PM at Shops on Market in Elizabethville. Contact Aimee Lacasse at email@example.com to sign up to volunteer.
Friends T-shirts Available!
Looking For A Book Club? Come Join Us!
The Friends of the Elizabethville Area Library are sponsoring a monthly book club for adults every 3rd Thursday of the month at 5:30 PM in the basement of the Elizabethville Area Library (unless otherwise noted). You do NOT have to have finished the book to participate the book club. Our next book discussion is on August 18th. We will be discussing "The Boston Girl" by Anita Diamant.
"The Boston Girl" is an unforgettable coming-of-age novel about family ties and values, friendship and feminism told through the eyes of a young Jewish woman growing up in Boston in the early twentieth century.
Addie Baum is The Boston Girl, born in 1900 to immigrant parents who were unprepared for and suspicious of America and its effect on their three daughters. Growing up in the North End, then a teeming multicultural neighborhood, Addie's intelligence and curiosity take her to a world her parents can't imagine - a world of short skirts, movies, celebrity culture and new opportunities for women. Addie wants to finish high school and dreams of going to college. She wants a career and to find true love.
Eighty-five-year-old Addie tells the story of her life to her twenty-two-year-old granddaughter, who has asked her "How did you get to be the woman you are today?" She begins in 1915, the year she found her voice and made friends who would help shape the course of her life. From the one-room tenement apartment she shared with her parents and two sisters, to the library group for girls she joins at a neighborhood settlement house, to her first, disastrous love affair, Addie recalls her adventures with compassion for the naïve girl she was and a wicked sense of humor.
"The Boston Girl" is a moving portrait of one woman’s complicated life in twentieth-century America, and a fascinating look at a generation of women finding their places in a changing world.
Contact Emily Degnitz @ 717-422-1614 or firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Looking for a Volunteer
The Elizabethville Area Friends of the Library is looking for someone to take pictures at the Friends of the Elizabethville Area Library events so that we can post them on our Facebook page, as well as on our page on The Library's website.
About The Friends of Elizabethville Area Library
The Friends of the Elizabethville Area Library invite library lovers to join them as they plan programs for the library, book sales and the annual raffle/silent auction.
- Number of members: 12 on the board, 73 members, 11 families and one Business
- Frequency of meetings: First Thursday of the month
- Average attendance: 10
- Frequency of book sales: Semi-Annual (Spring & Fall)
- Where books are stored: Off-site storage facility
- Where book sales are held:
- Salem United Church of Christ
- St. John’s Lutheran Pavilion
- Books also available:
- Friends Book Nook at Shops on Markets (across from the library)
- Friends Facebook page
- Book donations: Donations may be dropped off at the library. Staff will direct you. No textbooks or encyclopedias.
- Other Friends activities:
- Provide refreshments and support for the Lively Minds Series
- Sponsor Author on the Road with Upper Dauphin and Halifax Middle Schools to provide an author visit to the schools
- Purchase refreshments, craft materials and supplies for juvenile programs as requested
- Sponsor the annual library children’s Christmas program
- Sponsor Adult programs
- Assist the library with purchasing equipment and new technologies
- Support community programs and children’s learning experiences
- Membership: There are benefits and perks of being a Friend. Receive welcome coupons and special discounts with local businesses plus more. For details, membership forms are available in the Elizabethville Area Library or contact any of the officers listed.
- Senior $7
- Couple $14
- Individual $10
- Family $20
- Business $25
Elizabethville Vice President
(717) 580 - 1594