Book Reviews

You will need to register on the DCLS website and login to your DCLS website account in order to participate in the forums. More information on the login and registration procedure can be found in the Website Registration/Login Help Document. Check the upper right corner of your screen to register or login now!

Once you are logged into the site, choose the reading club you would like to comment under based on the age range of the book you are reviewing. Click the "New Topic" (red button, above the gray box) button to add a new book review. Or, as you are reading a post from another commenter, you can click "Add Reply" to comment on what they have written.

For more information on using the Book Review Forum, please click here.

RSS Feed Print
Slam- Nick Hornby
stephanie
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:45 PM

Sam has grown up in the knowledge that it is a bad idea to get a kid at 16. While his mother loves him and they have a good relationship, she also told him countless times that getting pregnant with him at such a young age has changed her future for the worse. Sam tries to avoid his mother's "mistake". He is going to go to college. In his free time he loves skateboarding. His greatest idol is Tony Hawk; Sam has read his book and knows it by heart. He even talks to a poster of Tony Hawk and to Sam Tony Hawk even answers with quotations from his book. Sam's life is rapidly changing when he meets Alicia and they begin a romantic relationship. Soon Sam is in danger of following in his mother's footsteps, but Tony Hawk doesn't leave Sam in the lurch. He shows Sam his future.

I have to admit that I had a few problems with this book. The main problem was that I couldn't really emphasise with Sam. This might be due to the fact that I'm older than Sam and female. This doesn't make a great difference in fantasy novels, where the focus is not so much on the protagonists "inside". In this book it was making it hard to get into it.
Apart from Sam I also found the rest of the characters flat and not good developed. Alicia's parents were particularly cliché, but his mother didn't have more depth, either.

The plot was also average. It was well enough but didn't offer a lot of surprises. The "future-dreams" purportedly sent by Tony Hawk were an interesting twist to the storyline but after the first one they became an old hat as well.

flag      

WEBSITE LOGIN  

Enter your email and password below to access dcls.org advanced features. Passwords are case sensitive.

•  
  •  

Forgotten password? New Users? REGISTER NOW! Login help Access your Library account. Download eBooks.
WEBSITE SEARCH